RE: r/t help (All Modifications)

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sun Jan 17 1999 - 22:09:45 EST

Not true...Get a good set of plugs, good wires and a good coil. Also,
"Blueprint" all the sensors on the engine. We used to do this on 5.0L
Mustangs years ago and it worked everytime. Faster ET's, better response,
even better gas mileage.

I agree...there are "Wonder Boxes" out there that claim more power, Spark
Plugs, Chips, Wires, Mufflers, etc. (And yes...I've tried several -
CompCams, MSD, Mallory, Accell..I just stuck with what worked for my
specific application. That may, or may not work on yours.)

The ONLY way to find out which part (or combination of parts) works best on
your vehicle for your situation is good old fashioned "Trial and Error".

Let's create a hypothetical engine. 250HP - Stock (Dakota...I like those)
Now, lets add "Claimed" Horsepower increasers:
(1) Intake Configuration (TB for example): 20HP
(2) Air Filter/Intake Combination: 10HP
(3) Headers: 20HP
(4) Muffler: 15HP
(5) Spark Plugs: 5HP
(6) Ignition Box: 10HP
(7) Plug Wires: 5HP
(8) "Super Chip": 25HP
(9) Octane Booster, "Super Lube": 5HP

That totals: 105HP! WOW...Now why doesn't the truck run any different??
Combination, Design, Application...these are all variables that should have
been taken into consideration. The actual increases would be closer (more
realistic) to 40-60HP...maybe.

Try to get your basic engine, and all the components (sensors included),
working properly first before you dive into buying all the "Go Fast
Goodies". It also helps to consult people who have had time to experiment
with other combinations in a real world scenario. (Jules should definitely
be included on that!)

Remember though: Everyone has a personal opinion on what worked and what
didn't for their application and every manufacturer will tell you that their
part is better and that they have proof.

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
bernd@texas.net
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd
"Gonna buy me a Dodge Truck and blow those Fords off the road....."