Re: TransGo Shift Kits

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Thu Jan 21 1999 - 14:58:46 EST

And you're probably pretty safe as long as the shifts feel firm... but if
your power levels get to the point that the shifts feel mushier (is that a
word?) then you are slipping the clutchs excessively, and dramatically
reducing the life of your tranny...besides wear from slipping, slipping
builds heat, and heat is the #1 killer....

The harder shifts actually increase life by reducing clutch slippage to
virtually nil... but I will accept the point of U-joints, ring&pinion & tire
life... I've had some real bang-screech autos before (once had a '73 'Cuda
w/ a transplanted 400 & manual valve body 727 that got squirrely on the 2-3
shift!) but a friend of mine w/ a hopped up 318 & 904 in a '74 dart used to
go through 2 or 3 U-joints a year, and actually BROKE the input yoke on his
rear (it was a 7 1/4, though)

ahh, the high school years of abusing cars... that Dart was FAST, though...
I'm surprised it held together as well as it did... that car sold me on
Mopar's forever...

all IMHO,
Gary Shook