water pump replacemnent/how to remove coolant outlet pipe?

From: tony hirko (tonyhirko@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Jan 23 1999 - 17:34:43 EST

Hello all,
        I am replacing my water pump ['93 Dakota 2wd 5.2L auto a/c] and I ran into
a snag. The heater hose is clamped to a tube that is pressed into the old
water pump. I got the pump off my engine, but this 8" tube is stuck in the
old water pump. My new AutoZone pump has a nice machined hole where the
tube is supposed to fit in with a new O-ring. The factory service manual
says 'Remove coolant outlet tube and discard old O-ring', not much help.
AutoZone doesnt have a replacement tube; I'm hoping NAPA will,I'm going
there tommorow. Anybody done this, or know how I can get the tube out from
the old pump?
        I've tried vice-grips at the base of the tube [squirted WD40] on it, but
that isnt working. I was thinking heat, but I'd have to go out and get a
little torch. My next step was to take the Dremel tool to the old pump,
but I'm not too confident that will work. AutoZone doesnt have a core
charge, but NAPA does.
        Let me tell you while I have the A/C assy up, I'm replacing the thermostat
[sticking w/ 195 deg] and replacing all those friggin spring type hose
clamps with std screw-type.
        Please CC: me for any responses; I lurk in digest mode;
tonyhirko@worldnet.att.net

Thanks a lot, Tony