Re: arcing wire-rough idle

From: Elmer Hanhart (hanharte@swbell.net)
Date: Sat Feb 13 1999 - 01:18:47 EST

For everyones info, my friends 94 Dak V8 5spd. had the same rough idle
as mine since new. We did his the same way as mine today and it worked
on his truck also. I didn't see his at night to be able to check for the
arcing, but I am sure it was there. He did a factory spec. tune up to
his about 4K miles ago, so his wires shouldn't have been bad (not saying
they aren't, but they shouldn't be). I think that a quality set of wires
would also do the trick. I don't think that wires should be touching
anything other than the cap, plugs, and seperators. The factory wires
should have this cover on them (I know most Fords have them). The wires
shouldn't be touching the valve cover in the first place, this is just
asking for arcing IMO. I am just offering this as a cheap (free in my
case) alternative to buying a new set of wires (and this may not even
cure the problem). My truck ran rough since the day I got it. It has
NEVER run smoother. Has anyone on the list tried this yet?

Erich