Exhaust update

From: Sam Parthemer (srp@home.com)
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 15:07:40 EST

Well, today I am sitting at home STILL sick from a cold I thought that I had
beaten
yesterday.

Took the R/T to Ed Hanson muffler for a dual setup. Bruce was there, but
since I
had an appointment, and they were really behind they couldn't get Bruce's
truck
done that day. Sorry Bruce.

The setup was a 3" outlet on the CAT (opened up) with a header flange put on
the CAT.
(Bruce pointed out that I could unbolt the exhaust at the track for some
'open exhaust'
runs.) From there they installed a 3" to an UltraFLO (got another one) that
is a round
straight through design (unlike the OEM which is oval, and has a slight
diaginal path).
On the back of the new UltraFLO the exhaust is a single 3" that is
immediately funneled
into 2-2.25" pipes. The passenger side pipe follows the OEM path, and is a
side exit
in the OEM location with a 3.5" chrome tip (only looks a tad bigger than the
stock tip), the
driver's side takes a 90 degree turn, routes around the tire with 1.5" to
spare in clearance,
and exits on the driver's side a mirror image to the passenger side.

I was pacing back and forth before they started it up as I wasn't sure if
I'd like the sound
(too loud, not loud enough, etc.) Once it was fired up, the only thing I
could really compare
it to was a newer Camaro Z28 exhaust.... Not too loud, good mellow deep
tone. On the
highway it is actually pretty quiet below 2500 rpm... The droning sound of
the stock exhaust
is replaced with a deeper 'white noise' at speed. When the truck is opened
up it begins to
get busy... I haven't had the truck driven by, with me sitting outside to
hear it, but I know that
with the dual setup, I am really hearing only 2 things (the resonance of the
muffler--ALA Ultra-
FLO, and 75% of the sound if from the driver's side tailpipe).

I'll record some sounds, and take some photos by this weekend.

I still have the complete (from the back of the cat) stock exhaust.

Sam '99 RT