More traction was Re: Suspension lift vs. Body lift

From: Jason Bleazard (jbleazard@home.com)
Date: Sat Feb 20 1999 - 21:50:18 EST

That's why I'm waiting until the truck is paid off, so I'll have the extra
funds to foot the bill. Personally, I'd rather wait and get the lift I want
rather than compromise. But that's just my opinion, of course.

> What I really need right now is more traction! I started a little slush
> fund to purchase and install the Powertrax locker that's supposed
> to be out
> this summer for the '97+ 29 spline rear axle... They don't have any
> product literature out yet, but the emails I've received from Powertrax
> indicates it will be a real locker and not a lsd.

Do you have an e-mail or web site for Powertrax? I want to find out if
they're also planning on making that for the pre-97 axle, and pester them
incessantly if they aren't.

> I was also considering a
> lsd for the front axle, but I'm really worried about the strength of that
> little FIAA thingy. ;~)

Pardon my ignorance, but what's an FIAA thingy?

>From everything I've heard, our front axles don't lend themselves very well
to any sort of traction aid other than possibly an air locker
(theoretically, I don't think they actually make them). From what I
remember, it's something to do with the fact that it doesn't fully disengage
from the wheels in 2wd mode. It's been a while, but I could try to dig up
more specifics if you need them.

Jason Bleazard
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg Cab V6/3.9L/5spd