Re: Spring flip

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 18:53:34 EST

this sounds like what Eric Kurtz did in trying to copy the "only thing
the Lightning got right." Can you supply pictures and an explanation of
the removal, alteration and installation? I am sure Jon Steiger wouldn't
mind putting this on the home page (don't mean to be sending you more
work Jon, but you've always been there in the past, posting neat stuff to
the homepage).

It would seem that this mod would definitely help in the tractin
department, something most of us really want. I always wondered if it
would degrade the load carrying ability, but you say it doesn't. That' s
good to know.

Thanks for the info. I sure hope you can help with pics and instructions.

Richard in SA

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:53:50 EST DakotaJOS@aol.com writes:
>OK Bob
>My truck is a 95 cc 5.2L auto . Single stage springs do not have an
>overload
>leaf.
>You will find these springs for example on jeep cherokees , the new
>r/t 5.9,
>not
>intended to carry extreme loads. 2stage springs will operate at say
>200psi ;
>these numbers are for illustration I don't know the actual ratings ;
>in stage
>1 ,but
>when you hit a hard enough bump with the truck the 1st stage spring
>pack will
>suddenly and briefly slam into that THICK overload leaf at the bottom
>at lets
>say
>400psi for the 2nd stage.If you were hauling a heavy enough load you
>would
>probably be in the 2nd stage constantly, not bad , no sudden drastic
>psi
>changes.
>When the overload leaf is removed, flipped, and reinstalled it curves
>in the
>opposite
>direction (toward the ground but not below the axle not close to a
>clearance
>problem)
>of the spring pack. The added travel that is gained for the 1st stage
>before
>SLAMMIN
>into the 2nd stage is what has greatly improved my ride comfort and
>handling
>stability
>yet I can still carry heavy loads.
>
>JOS 95 V-8 CC 102,000 MILES

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]