re: (LONG sorry) Done it.. (Die CAT!=) Check this out..

From: eric neidhamer (bad318@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 02 1999 - 17:01:14 EST

I did this to my '97 5.2 liter and since the Dekotes have unGodly
amounts of torque to begin with, I notice little, if any, difference
in low end. Again, my friend with a 98 5.2 did this and he noticed
performance increase all the way around.
 The cats that are on the Dakotas are already high flow and the
difference in just putting in a 2.5" pipe in the cat's place is
minimal. So if you want the difference on the top.. use 3" all the
way back. 2.5" pipe is only supposed to be good for 250 horsepower
anyway.
I know of 3 other 5.2 Daks ('96, '94, '98) that have done the same and
I've done it twice. All I see is an increase in throttle response,
and mid - top RPM performance.
You know these MOPARS.. they're moody.

---brian duffey wrote:

> I've been trying to find the reason for my '95-5.2Liters sagging
performance
> lately.
> Added fresh Champ Truck Plugs - MSD 8.5 Wires, F&B TBI, etc and it
seems to
> be
> lossing power.
>
> If what you are saying about increased flow really bagging the low
end on
> the 5.2's, then the small hole in my muffler may (I hope!) be the
culprit.
> It is a SMALL hole, maybe the diameter of a pencil, I've been
watching it
> for about a month now, slowly growing.
>
> Just gives me that final 'justification' to get the Gibson Single
Cat-back