Re: Re[2]: 17" Wheels on 99 4x4

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 08:05:00 EST

The idea behind the large wheels is so that you can use a shorter sidewall.
You maintain your overall tire diameter - you just have more rim and less
rubber within that diameter. This will result is less sidewall flex, which
translates into better handling & better feel for the driver.

Larger wheels by themselves don't give greater performance. It's the
shorter-sidewall tire that generally goes with them that gives the greater
(handling) performance. Less sidewall is also less forgiving. There's less
warning when it comes near the point of breaking lose (losing traction).
Also, it is a harsher ride. Lotsa fun on the pavement, tho' :^)

In general, you want to go with the lightest rims/tires possible (for
performance applications). One pound of rotating mass (wheel) is equal to
four pounds of static weight on the vehicle. For example, if you put on a
new set of wheels/tires that were 50 pounds lighter than your originals, it
would be like taking 200 pounds off the entire vehicle as far as
quarter-mile performance is concerned (less rotational mass). Granted, you
will want the heavier-duty rims/tires if you still use your truck for
heavy-duty truck stuff or off-roading.

Hope this helps.