RE: skid plates on order

From: Norah Bleazard (nbleazard@home.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 12:13:20 EST

.
> Just curious, but how much is the hitch from the dealer? Are you
> having them
> put it on too?

Jason knows the cost as he placed the order and yes, we're getting the mopar
hitch and having the dealer install it.

> Just letting you know, you know you can buy a just a good
> hitch(it just doesnt say MOPAR on it) that is a Class III from JC
> Whitney for
> $115; and for $85 when they are on sale. All you need is about 25
> minutes of
> you time and some very basic tools.

I'm letting the dealer do it all as it is a leased vehicle and I don't feel
like going getting any flack about it later. We also need the wiring
installed as well. I'm sure it would be a simple job for most, but I'd
rather let them do it as I'm not that experienced with this kind of stuff.
Jason is more capable than myself, but he doesn't want to tamper with old
"well, we didn't install it and it's not an approved part, so we won't honor
any warranties". You know the old line.

> The hitch I bought simply utilizes the
> holes predrilled on the frame; as I would imagine the MOPAR one
> does. I bought
> mine about 4 years ago for $90 and put it on within an hour. This
> way too I
> made sure I put on good quality Grade8 bolts/nuts rather than the
> Grade5 most
> hitch places use; Just as a peace of mind(additional cost is
> about $8).

Hmmm.... grade 8 bolts? Anyone know what the dealer service centers use?
Maybe we should pick up the bolts somewhere else and tell them to use the
ones we provide? Any suggestions?

> I not
> bitching; just curious why you decided to order the hitch through
> the dealer.

No problem. If it wasn't a leased vehicle and only 6 months old, I would
have gone a different route.

> As far as the skid plates go, do they get bolted on or welded on?

I believe that they're bolted on, but I may be wrong. The serious, extreme
off-roaders take off the original skid plates and install their own
fabricated ones that are thicker and stronger.

Now I have an urge to go buy a pair of rubber boots and a better tow strap,
and wait.... a winch.... yeah, that's the ticket :) Nah, the winch will be
going on the other truck seeing as it doesn't have tow hooks and the '98
does. Oh boy, the shopping bug has hit again. Man I wish I didn't love the
trucks so much :)

Norah
current: '95 Dakota Sport white 4x4 Reg Cab V6/3.9L/5spd