Re: dual intake set up..... (longish, but read)

From: Jason Yates (j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 17:33:04 EST

> The problem I see with twin filters is that you have air coming in
from
> different directions....wont they cancel each other out, or at least
cause
> major disruption in air flow. And it still keeps the filters on top
of
> the engine......everyone is concerned about cooler air, that air is
not
> the coolest under the hood.

So for those who have the twin filter deal, how do you feel about it?
Is there a point when you are accelerating where it feels like the
engine is starving for air? I just did some quick surface area
calculations and it appears that the twin air filters actually provide
more suface area than a 14x3 360-degree open element type. You can do
the calcuations yourself with the following formula:

2 x Pi (3.1416) x radius x height=suface area of cylindrical shapes

So for an 14" x 3", it'd be:

2 x 3.1416 x 7" x 3" = 132 sq inches

A 5" x 5" K&N on the twin filters gives you

2 x 3.1416 x 2.5" x 5" = 78.5 sq inches

Multiply that by 2 filters and you get 157 sq inches. I also checked
the suface area of a K&N cone (using a more complex formula that would
be annoying to explain via the keyboard) and found out that you would
need one that had a diameter of 8" and a length of at least 10 inches
to give you 150 sq inches of area. So, with a surface area
comparison, it looks like the twin air filter setup wins.

The question is can all this air get into the intake due to the likely
turbulence caused by the twin intakes joining together at the TB?
Who's got an opinion? I'd like to hear it. Oh, let's not even go
into density calculations to figure out if bringing in cooler air
could conteract a lack of filter surface area, although that is
something to consider. Anyway . . . let me know what you think.

Thanks for reading this far,
JY