Re: Exhaust rattle

From: Catlin (catlin@erols.com)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 23:23:18 EST

>Michael & Jeannine Reynolds wrote:

>Hello DML digest:

>About a month ago I had Midas install by JBA headers. They only charged me
>$135, but it took them about 4.5 hours to do it. Performance improvement
>was mild, but noticeable and MPG went up 1 to 1.5. However, now I have some
>sort of rattle that I think is in the exhaust, that I cannot tell where it's
>coming from. I only hear it when I take off at a part throttle (not feather
>throttle) take off, or when I am turning sharply to the left or right. I
>can't hear it when the engine is cold, only when it's fully warmed up. It
>is definitely a metal-to metal rattle. I've had Midas look at it, and they
>couldn't find anything wrong, but thought I had a loose skid plate. The
>Chrysler dealer said that they heard the rattle, and thought it was the cab
>mount bushings, so they performed the TSB, and said that I didn't have a
>loose skid plate. This, of course, didn't fix it. Tonight, when I came
>home, I had my wife put the tranny in park, put her foot on the brake and
>then rev up the engine. I could only hear the rattle a little, and it
>sounded like it was coming from the passenger side near the engine, but I
>can't be sure. Anyone have any ideas about what might be going on? Thanks!

>Michael Reynolds
>'98 Dakota Sport 4X4
>5.2L, Flame Red
>180 T-stat, JBA headers

Mike,
        Mine did the exact same thing. Look at the bottom bolt on the
Passenger side header where it connects to the down pipes. You will
probably see Midas installed the bolt from the bottom of the down pipe
going into the header flange with the nut on the top of the header
flange.
If it's like mine you will see (feel really unless you craw up under
there)
that the end of the bolt if hitting the upper control arm for the
passenger
side. I had to break my bolt to replace it since it was bent on the
end.
I then installed a bolt from the top side down and have had no problems
since.

Mike Catlin