RE: 17" Wheels on 99 4x4

From: Brent Hackl (BHackl@nrginfo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 02:00:53 EST

<< From: Bob Tom >>
<< I have the stock 15x7 rims and their backspacing is about 5.5" >>
<< A DMLer recently posted that the R/T 17x9 rims have a backspacing
of 6.5". >>

If these numbers are right, it means that the 17x9 R/T rims have the same OFFSET as the 15x7 rims. If the 9" wide rims have 1" more backspacing than the 7" rims, then they must also have 1" more
"frontspacing" (might not be a proper technical term). This means that the OFFSET, or distance from the center of the wheel to the backing plate, is the same, and the tires will sit in the same basic
location relative to the truck. The sidewalls just go straight up instead of bulging out.

I would guess that the 15x8's also have the same offset. If true, I should have no clearance problems with 17x9 R/T rims and tires that have the same outside dimensions as the 31x10.5 tires.

But has anyone actually tried it?

...Brent
Calgary, Alberta
(soon-to-be 99 5.2 4x4 CC owner)