Re: RE:DML Lift Kits

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 18:41:43 EST

<< In my opinion, 4wd is best for climbing steep hills, and slippery surfaces.
  Most other off road conditions can be conquered by a 4x2 with a Limited Slip
 Differential. 4wd is a convenience for many types of off road conditions,
but
 a 4x2 with an experienced driver can go nearly all places a 4x4 can. With
the
 LSD, a 4x2 has just as many power wheels as a non-LSD 4x4. A 4x4 with an LSD
 has 3 powered wheels, or with lockers can get all 4 powered. Trouble with
4wd
 is they weigh more, have more to break, and that front differential can bog
 the truck down if it gets in real soft stuff like snow.
    I can't afford the insurance on a 4x4 and I don't see myself needing to
 climb sand dunes anytime in the near future.

Well I understand you point completely; but come over here to Indiana a wheel
with me on a weekend and you will understand how vital having a front diff and
a transfer case really is; when going off road. I could never ever imagine a
2WD Dak going some places I have gone, and some of these palces arent even
muddy or slippery. A place I have in mind is an old dried up creek(now washed
out from the rain) that is running down a ravine. To access it you must drive
down a small, somewhat shallow rocky creek that has pleny of slippery algae
growing all over; easy access in 4HI. This creek run is about 5 yards long and
then you must find a nice spot to climp up out of the creek; impossible in
2WD; sometime I must go in 4LO and thats not easy. My rear bumpe has been
'adjusted' plenty of times here. Then its a nice easy drive about 1 mile to
the old creek bed which decends at about a 30 degree slope; tire placing is a
must but once you get down to the bottom you have found the greatest area to
camp out. Like I said, getting to this old creek is a problem, going down it
isnt; but good luck in 2WD climbing back up it!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6