RE:DML Lift Kits

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Thu Mar 11 1999 - 11:14:00 EST

   I won't argue that a 4x2 has greater limitations, that was NEVER the point.
 The point was simple, for most off road conditions, a 4x2 (with an LSD) does
fine. Most of the negative posts I was reading kept pointing out what I
already said, there are certain types of terrain you can't take a 4x2, but
most trails and backwoods roads are fine. My part of this whole conversation
has attempted to stay in the bounds of the original message: "Are there any
advantages to jacking up a 4x2" which brings me back to square one, unless
you're after the image thing, even though you can take a 4x2 offroad (jacked
up or not) most places people would want to go.
   I have no idea where you live, but here in So. Cal. folks think they need a
4x4 just to go get groceries in the rain. Folks here tend to buy them to beat
their chests, "Me have 4x4, you truck crap next to it- ugh!" (thus the 4x4
mentality comment). If you're a construction worker, hunter, farmer, or
serious off road enthusiast- I wouldn't bat an eyelash at your desire for a
4x4. Do you need one if you want to go down the trails in your local national
forest on a family vacation? Probably not. I think we both agree that it all
depends on the application and that's really what I've been saying all along.
   Here in So. Cal. a 4x4 adds $200 (or more) a year to your insurance. They
DO get worse gas mileage. You can incur higher weight fees on your
registration (this state considers all pickups to be commercial vehicles).
And unless I missed my basic physics classes, the more moving parts you have,
the more things that wear and break: no matter how well you maintain them, and
that maintenance DOES cost money. My friend has a 4x4 and he's always fixing
or spending money on something in that drive train: he does use it off road
for some serious terrain quite often (I keep razzing him that he spends so
much because it's a Ford, but the truth is, off roading is just plain hard on
vehicles).
   I really don't want to expand on this any more, my fingers are tired too.
I think you understand better what I'm trying to say, cliche's or not. My
personal truth is, I have yet to desire to go someplace my 4x2 Dakota can't
take me, are there places it can't reach? Sure, I fully admit that, but the
better question is, why would I want to get there and is it worth all the
extra dough to do it? In your case, you are a hunter and go where roads don't
exist through mountains and perfect 4x4 terrain. Could a 4x2 go the same
places? Well, it all depends on the terrain and conditions you are travelling
in. I'll stick by my original idea: if you want a jacked up truck, you can
buy a 4x2 and lift it a bunch and add huge tires for the cost of the same
truck in a 4x4. You get the image for the same dollars. If you actually need
the 4x4 preformance, buy the 4x4 and learn it's limitations, cause no matter
how high you jack it up, or how big the tires, it can't go everywhere either,
and doing those things create their own limitations.
   Thanks for the discussion.

Shaun H.