Re: RE: Overdrive (in laymen's terms)

From: Robert Trottmann (rotrottmann@davidson.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 00:27:44 EST

So what does it mean when it doesn't disengage? I had to push harder
and
harder to make it disengage, and now I have to floor it and it will just

change gears, but OD stays on! Does this mean I will need a new OD?
How
much will that cost me? I'm looking in my crystal ball, and I see a
loss of
cash here. :-(

Robert,

Don't panic. I didn't state something clearly in my last message. My
comment
about lockup switch failure usually occurs after 7-10 years or 100,000
miles.

On the Dakota the O/D OFF light on the dash is only connected to the
manual
button on the end of the gear selector. So the light on the dash will
not come on
when the lockup is disengaged by pressing the accelerator or the brake.

Here's a simple test to check if it's operating properly. Drive at a
steady speed on
level road. While maintaining your speed with the right foot, press
lightly on the brake pedal. The rpm needle should rise
immediately--indicating that the lockup has disengaged.

Randy
'98 R/T CC