RE: Overdrive (in laymen's terms)

From: Randy Fox (foxra@nad.adventist.org)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 23:16:25 EST

Can someone explain, in layman's terms ( !! ) Overdrive? What, exactly,
is
it? How does it work? How does it improve gas mileage? Why does it sound
as
if my Dak is working harder when I turn it off?

I had thought that Overdrive simply forced the tranny into a lower gear
on
demand to give you a boost (like downshifting manually on a grade or to
get
the torque neccessary to pass a BigRig quicky).

Preacher (Performance-engineering-impaired)
99 5.2L CC 4x4 SLT
http://fly.to/bastaards

------------------------------

Over-drive is to an automatic tranny with 5th gear is to a manual
tranny. Or another example would be 3.55 rear axle gears vs. 3.72 (or
3.92 gears). It comes on automatically when you reach a predetermined
speed or are pressing lightly on the
gas pedal (to help save gas and help the corporate average fuel economy
the Chrysler).
It improves gas mileage because the engine rpm drops about 800 rpms (I
think) at freewy speed when over-drive is engaged. It can be disengaged
manually by pressing the button
on the end of the gear selector, or by depressing the brake pedal. If
the torque converter clutch solonoid fails, the over-drive won't work at
all, or it will stay locked all the time.
This makes the engine stall, similar to trying to start off from a red
light with your manual
trans in 5th gear.

Sorry, I can't comment on why your Dak makes any sounds at all when it's
turned off.

Your second paragraph is describing all the benefits of turning off the
overdrive.

Randy
'98 R/T