Re: Question on going faster

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 1999 - 18:41:51 EST

There was an article on the crane roller rockers in Mopar Muscle a while
back....
while there were modest gains for the 1.7 ratio (peak 7hp, average 5hp) on
the V6 they were testing, they agreed that the major benefit is better
stability at high rpm, especially with a more aggressive cam. (V8 should be
4/3rds that?, or about peak 9hp, average 7hp).
the HP/$ ratio is pretty low on this one... but if you want more rpm, they
would be a good idea... they did say that you must replace the springs with
the 1.7 ratio, but I don't remember why... they also tested the roller
rocker 1.6 ratio, which was pretty much a wash, since the stock ratio is
1.6...

I've also heard that the stock lifters are a real problem at high rpm...
they can crack the lifter bosses above 5800, or 5500 in the long term....
so that my have to be addressed if you want to rev... the first thing to be
addressed will be breathing....

Gary Shook

>1.7 roller rockers are a good idea. The springs will come in very handy
>when(if?) the MP comp's available as you will then be able to rev above
>6000.

<snip>