Re: Slick 50 (Synthetic oil...)

From: Eric Rhyder (rhyder@email.com)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 01:46:52 EST

> IMHO, if you want extra protection, get a synthetic. Remember, oil
> isn't just oil; there are friction modifiers, anti wear agents (not the
> same thing) acid neutralizers, anti foaming agents, antioxidants,
> detergents, etc.; adding something like Slick 50 may improve one or two
> of these, but at the expense of the others. I would recommend against
> it.

I'd have to agree with this also. Personally, I don't go for the gimmick
stuff (Slick50, etc.) but a couple years ago I tried the Castrol Syntech
on my '88 Corolla. I noticed an immediate improvement (the engine seemed
to come alive.) Although it does tell you to be careful with older cars
(I ended up having to replace a valve cover gasket because the synthetic
stuff just seaped right past the gasket that was in place) I don't have any
complaints.

If you remember their add on TV (its the one where they have a roomful of
engines runing without oil, the only one that didn't seize up was the one
running Syntec) I can offer a real life story to that.

I checked my oil about 2-3 months after putting the syntech in. When I
looked at the dipstick, there was absolutely no oil on it. Even with
close to no oil in my engine, I never heard a valve ping, or experienced
any problems. I just added a couple quarts of oil and went on my way.

(Dak Content) I'm considering putting the syntec in my Dak whenever I
receive it (hopefully this week sometime, it rolled off the assembly line
last Wed.) Can anyone offer any reasons I shouldn't put this in my
engine? (318, 5speed..)

Regards,
Eric Rhyder