RE: Re: Was I stupid to buy the dak I did?

From: Wayne T. Schultz (rimfax@email.msn.com)
Date: Fri Mar 19 1999 - 14:12:21 EST

Okay...I'm gonna have to go against the grain here.

Off soapbox...

fish
99STL+CC4x4v8

I am going to have to agree with the fish. I think it wasn't the best
decision to lease the Dakota. However, I do sympathize with you. (I know
the feeling of "I just have to have it!)

I am an insurance agent in Connecticut, and my advice to everyone under 21
is to purchase a vehicle that doesn't require full coverage (Collision and
Comprehensive), because the cost of insurance is outrageous.

There are a couple of things working against you:

1) 2 accidents.
2) Age
3) Prior insurance?? (You didn't state whether or not you had any, but from
what you wrote I am assuming you are not getting any discount.)
4) Leasing the Truck. (Requires much higher limits of liability coveage)

That's the bad news.

The good news is SHOP.

Shop like you have never shopped before. Shop like the stereotype of a
woman who just won $1,000 shopping spree. (Please not the use of the word
STEREOTYPE.)

There are lots of insurance companies doing business in the state of New
York. And different insurance companies cater to different segments of the
market. There are companies who will offer you a better rate, I'll bet my
last dollar on it.

Lastly, check with your parents to see if you are still listed on their
insurance policy. If you are, this is another huge benefit to you. All
companies give 10 - 25% discount if you have prior insurance.

I hope this helps. Sorry about the length. Use your new truck to help you
make some money. I forgot to mention, but you might also wish to
investigate a commercial policy for your truck if you do any part time
carpentry etc. In some cases, a commercial policy can be a lot less
expensive. (Make sure you investigate each avenue seperately :))

- Wayne

BTW, When I was in my early 20's I had to have this 1993 VW Corrado. Just
about broke me. I'll never regret buying that little car. Man was that car
quick. Ahhhh.... Never had the guts to get it over 130mph though. Good
Luck!!!!