Re: Mobil-1 vs. Amsoil

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 20:44:33 EST

I've been using AMSOIL 0w30 in my truck for the last 70k miles. I was
pretty skeptical about it, but my brother used it in his Beretta - he
switched over to it at 25k, changed the oil every 25k, then he had 125k on
it with 4 oil changes in the last 100k miles and it still got 40mpg and used
no oil. When I switched, my truck was using a quart of oil every 2k, dealer
said AMSOIL oil and filter would reduce oil consumption. I thought, YEAH
RIGHT!, everything I heard about synthetics said you would burn more oil.
Boy was I surprised when, after 2 filter changes (25k miles), my oil
consumption went DOWN to about a quart every 5k (made me a believer).

The truck now has almost 140k, still burns about a quart every 5k, I change
the oil every Christmas, and filter every Christmas and every June. No
sludge in the oil drain pan after draining either. I like it.

'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate