Re: Mobil-1 vs. Amsoil

From: Edward J. Abrams, Jr. (superdak@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Tue Mar 16 1999 - 19:35:47 EST

I use synthetic in my Dakota. What kind? It depends...what's on sale?
:)
So far, I've used Mobil-1 and Castrol Syntec, and I ran one change using
Valvoline DuraBlend when switching over from dino-oil ( at 12,000
miles). At this point, I probably wouldn't use Amsoil, mainly because
of what I found on one of their web pages:

                 http://www.amsoil.com/products/xlf.html

If you examine the chart, you'll notice that Amsoil, at the top, has the
least 'wear scar', and the others show increasing 'wear scar' going down
the list; you'll also notice that the Amsoil porduct is 5w30, the Syntec
is 5w50, most of the others are 10w30 and the bottom is 20w50. What
does this tell you, besides that thinner oils are better for wear
protection? It tells me something about the company that markets this
product. It just raises one red flag too many, in my book (your books
may vary <grin>).

Regards,

Ed

'There are lies, there are damned lies, and then there are statistics."