Re: First oil change and general R/T questions

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 16 1999 - 22:36:48 EST

<< While changing the oil I got a chance to really check out the the truck
 from a mechanical perspective.. I've been having to much fun driving to
 for the last week. One thing I didn't realize was that the exhaust
 manifolds have individual pipes going to the cat. I guess there is no
 need for a better y-pipe on the R/T. The second thing I noticed was the
 coil. I was going to order an total MSD ignition upgrade this week.. The
 coil is a small modular unit that bolts to the one of the pulley
 brackets. It has a connector to the bottom of it and the coil wire come
 out the top. Can this be replaced with a standard Blaster III coil or
 should I use something else. >>

If you want to utilize the stock location of the coil, but want an aftermarket
coil, Accel makes them for Magnum Engines that bolt right up to that bracket
and it even uses the stock connector, no adaptors needed. I have this coil on
my Dak, along woth many other ignition upgrades. Here are the specs of this
coil, parts #140021:
Primary Resistance 1 Ohm
Secondary Resistnace 12.7k Ohms
Turns Ratio 76:1
Maximum Voltage 42,000 volts
Peak Increase in Energy v. OE coil 34%
Peak Increase in Current v OE coil 17%
Peak Increase in Arc Duration V. OE coil 23%
Peak Increase in Dwell v. OE coil 36%
Hope this helps, the price for mine about 2 months ago was $40
Good Luck
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6