Re: Another technical timing question....

From: JT McBride (mcbride@abac.com)
Date: Wed Mar 24 1999 - 13:58:18 EST

>Just curious but other than hearing the timing chain rattle, which I have
>pinpointed on my Dak; what are the symptons the timing chain needs replacing.

Timing will wander, and youŽll find that your distributor cap contacts are
getting burned on the trailing edge, since the spark timing is crank
position-based, while the rotor is spun by the camshaft.

The engine also takes a serious power hit.

>Also, will a worn timing chain affect the timing itself? How does incorrect
>timing affect performance and just how good the engine will run. Over time,
>does the timing need adjustment, or does the computer do it? I plan on doing

Valve opening and closing IS affected by timing chain wear. Ignition timing
is computer controlled, and really canŽt be changed (easily).

>this within the next month, and just want to make sure I really need to get it
>done. I figure with 102,500 miles on my truck, it really does need to be
>done. Thanks in advance for the answers to these questions.
>Kyle
>93 Dakota 4x4 V6

Jim
Ž93 CC 4x4 V8