RE: Tire Sipe attn:Mike

From: SandMan (sandman@linkup.net)
Date: Sat Mar 27 1999 - 04:44:08 EST

Hi Mike its me again.
Siping Tires is beneficial in a couple of ways, increased traction & tire
life by allowing the tire tread to flex. This extra flex does also cut down
on tire noise.

TRACTION: It softens up the tire by allowing the tread to flex more & adds
100's of extra edges to the tread design. I had my old 32" BF Goodrich ATs
siped on my old 79' F-150 4x4 for North Dakota winters. On ice the
difference is night & day, reduced my braking distance by about 20% I would
say. "Off the line" traction also increased, I didn't just sit & spin on the
ice. Sipeing didn't seem to affect the tires ability in mud one way or the
other.

TREADLIFE: By allowing more flex in the tire tread, the tire had less
tendency to "scrub" corners & absorb more punishment from potholes & small
road debris. It also smoothed out the ride some.

I would highly recommend sipeing, EXCEPT for drag racing & rock crawling. In
both those situations I suspect the tires would have a tendency to "chunk",
where as pieces of the tread might tear away, that is probably the biggest
reason the tire manufactures don't sipe their tires, that & it would raise
production costs. It only cost my $15/tire to have mine siped.
SandMan

proud owner of:
Flame Red 99' Sport CC, 318, FT-4x4, trailer tow package, Tire & Handling
package