Hotchkis Prices ATTN: Ryan K

From: Gary Pinkley (gapinkley@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 00:52:22 EST

One common misconception with the dropped arm is that there is no change in
performance with the arm. All it does is relocate the spring pocket,
decreasing the preload on the spring, hence lowering it. Your steering will
be affected in the same manner as using a lowering coil. The only way to
correct the steering geometry is to make a new spindle that lowers the
outside tie rod. When you do this, you can't use the 15" wheels anymore,
that's why there's none on the market yet. I looked into manufactured tie
rods that had a longer stud to correct bump steer, but the would have cost
about $250 a pair. At a 2" drop, bump steer is well within acceptable
limits. By designing a new spring, I can improve the performance of the
suspension by tuning the rate. Other that the tie rod angle, the Dakota
suspension still has good geometry when its lowered. The camber gain is
improved, but not excessive.
-Gary