Re: Re: NV3500 shifts (or lack thereof)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 01:50:38 EST

At 03:05 PM 3/26/99 , you wrote:
[...]
>I've thought about replacing that big black (straight) stick on my 98
>with a
>nice chrome and steel Hurst shifter. I'll bet this mod would be close to
>the
>same. No way I could make it as short, my head would be bumping the
>steering
>wheel on every shift. I would hate for the airbag to blow while trying
>make 3rd gear, can you say "Icabod Crane and his haunted Dak".

  Heh heh heh! Yep, the short one was a little hard to shift too. The day
after I did that install, I lengthened it almost 2 inches. Its easier to
shift now, and I don't have to lean forward quite as much, but its still a
lot shorter than stock. I have to re-learn how to drive the truck
though... The proper stick and clutch inter-action has been burned into my
brain, and due to the shorter throw, its no longer correct. (I have a hard
time pulling my foot off the clutch because I'm afraid I'll hear the gears
grind because the stick "hasn't moved enough to be in gear yet".) :-)

                                               -Jon-