open air filter tip

From: Patrick Delgado (dadoctah@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 05:03:35 EST

I discovered something yesterday. I had previously removed the middle section
of the weatherseal that seals the front of the hood to the top of the radiator
support to get some cooler air to my FIPK.
Because of this mod, the front of filter element collects road grime and dead
bugs. I had figured this wasn't much of a problem as most of the filter was
clean and would allow enough air.
I was curious so I rotated the filter so that the clean part was to the front
and I noticed a performance improvement. I then recharged my filter and
noticed no difference. Apparently the engine was only sucking in the hot air
from behind the engine.

SO, if you have done my "island air fix" keep the front of the filter as clean
as possible.