RE: Re: Re: CB Antennas

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 22:05:05 EST

> << Fire-Stik (along with a few others) makes a "Quick Disconnect"
> for the CB
> Antenna's. However, you really don't want to disconnect the antenna when
> Offroading because you may just need it in a "situation". The old 102"
> Steel Whips are still the best for offroad since you can just bend it and
> tie it down with some fishing line...and it still works perfectly.
> >>

> I used to run a 102" whip, but I was fiberglass; was WAY too
> tall, excellent
> reception though. Then I went to my current dual 48" fiberglass antennas,
> which I still raelly like the reception. I was looking through
> the ever-so-
> famous JC Whitney catalog and saw something that caught my eye.
> For $16.15,
> they sell this little box that uses/converts the pre-existing
> AM/FM antenna on
> cars/trucks so that you can run your CB's off of your radio's
> antenna. They
> say it will not afect the reception of the radio. Think this
> would actually
> work?? I am picky about reception, not how far I can pick up
> from, just how
> good it sounds. Worth a shot or no???

Save your money dude!!! Those things are only good for maybe 4-5 miles at
best. If I can find a K40 magmount I'm gonna get that, but I've also been
considering a bumper mount with a glass whip. Actually the glass whip is
getting to be a better idea. The previous owner of my truck had a K40
magmount on the roof (can't miss the monster sized donut left from the
magnet). The bumper mount just uses plactic coated chains to anchor the
base, just run some RJ-85 cable to the cab via some existing opening and
I'll be set....

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5spd

Greg