Increasing Payload

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 01:01:23 EST

I need some help on increasing the load leveling capacity on my Dak. I have
the Sport package, and unfortunately, this means the rear leaves are rated at
1,450 pounds, which in my experience isn't too exact. I have had 1,000 pounds
in my bed and it sags pretty bad. Even hooking up to my dad's 3,000 pound
boat, the bumper sags about 2 inches. For me, thats too much. I need to find a
fairly inexpensive way to help even out the bed when hauling or towing. I also
just want more leveling capacity so that my Dak doesnt sag when I have to haul
a bed full of logs with me for a weekend hunting trip.
Remember, I do drive a Dak 4x4, so I have not been able to find anyone who
makes them for my Dak; plus I do not really want them. I guess I am either
going to have to get some of those 'helper' springs that clamp onto the leaf
packs or simply find someplace who sells this entire rear leaf pack with a
higher rating. Do those Hellwig progressive rated helper springs really
increase capacity upto 1500 pounds as advertised?? In a Hellwig catalog I have
from 1995, they say I can add 1535 pounds. For $115, I just can't see them
increasing my capacity that much. But who knows, maybe they do work! I think I
am going to call my local spring/leaf shop and see what they say also.
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6