Re: Increasing Payload

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 02:26:30 EST

Kyle,

        The previous owner of my truck added on extra leaf(thick ass things!!=) )
and re-arched the rear springs. I have no idea what the payload rating is
now(don't know what is was in the first place, either). But, what I can
tell is that I've had betwwen 1000 - 1200 lbs in the bed and it just sets
level. Without any load, it's got some serious front to rear rake. The
back is probably 3+" higher than the front. I don't think I've had over
1300 lbs in it yet, but I haven't gotten it to where the back was lower
than the front. I think that this is the way to go. Or you could get the
Hellwig Add-a-Leafs(or whatever they're called). They increase the spring
rate a bunch. Put them on a friends Jeep and it rode a lot harder and
gained some height. My truck rides HARD, though. I have Rancho RS5000
shocks, so that probably doesn't help any. I'll put it this way,
speedbumps feel softer at 30-35 mph than they do at 5-10 mph - and if I do
go slow, the back end feels like it will almost bounce of the ground after
I go over the bump. The prev. owner gave me the invoice and it looks like
what he did costs about $80. If you go this route, you might as well
replace the leaf spring bushings, too. Energy Suspension makes some
polyuerethene ones for our Daks...don't remember the price, though (less
than $30 I would guess).

        The reason why your truck will sag a couple inches with a light load is
that leaf springs are progressive. The will drop fast at first, and then
with more load, it will be harder to make them go down farther(if that made
sense). But suposedly my truck's springs are somewhere in the middle
between 1/2 ton rated and 3/4 ton rated(think full size). Basically, it's
supposed to be able to carry more than a Ram 1500, but less than a Ram 2500
series. I have no idea if this is true, and will probably never find out,
but that's what I've been told......

Sorry so long...

Brian