RE: Actual Top Speed of an R/T

From: Craig Baltzer (Craig.Baltzer@anjura.com)
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 00:59:48 EST

Well I think 138 is just a touch optimistic, or if they really tested
it, then they had a very, very, very strong engine. I just ran a few
numbers through CarTest, which is pretty bang on with most mags test
results. I didn't have the CD for the truck, but in order for it to
reach 138MPH it would need a CD of .34, which is better than a Corvette
:-). I'm guessing that it has a CD of around .40 to .45, in which case
120-125 is the top end. I used the frontal area and ground clearance
numbers for an R/T (just happens to be one in my parking garage just
made a quick trip downstairs with my tape measure :-), as well as the hp
and torque specs for the 5.9 with a 3.92 rear end. Speed drops off a
couple of MPH with the 3.55...

Gotta remember that while the trucks may be quick off the line, they are
bricks. Also increases in top end require exponentially more power, so
if 50hp gets you 20mph on the top end, 100hp won't get you 40mph.

Craig