Re: limited slip question

From: Bobby Nicks (bwnicks@ibm.net)
Date: Thu Apr 08 1999 - 18:19:07 EDT

A. S. wrote:

> I know this has been discussed before, but I'll ask again anyway.
> (tried the archives--but there were a lot to read) Anyway, if I jack
> the rear of my truck---spin one tire, and the other spins in the
> opposite direction, does this mean that I have a limited slip diff.?
> Is this a sure-fire way to tell? If not, what is?
> Thanks!!
> --Aaron--
> 95 DSRC 4x4 V6

With the rear of the truck jacked up and the transmission in gear or in
park if auto and you rotate a tire and the tire on the opposite rotates
in the opposite direction then you DO NOT have a limited spin diff. It
is rotating in the opposite direction because the carrier is walking
around the spider gears. With a limited slip this action would be
locked out and you would not be able to rotate the wheels if the
tranmission was in gear.

Bob