96 LSD growl

From: K. Avallone (avallone@esslink.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 1999 - 07:55:57 EDT

I recently acquired a 96 Dak CC with a limited slip from a private sale. Problem that I am having is this. After driving for a short while on the highway (~7miles) and coming to a stop, there is a growl from the rear end that sounds like it is going to come apart. I have an extended warranty on the truck and am taking it in for the dealer who 'owns' the warranty to look at it. I talked to the service dept and the guy has looked at this vehicle before (with the previous owner). He claims that it is 'normal', that it is the clutches in the LSD that get 'tightened up when driving straight for extended times'. And that I should go to a parking lot and drive in figure 8's for while to loose them up.
Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this normal? I have driven quite a few trucks and have never heard anything like this before.

Ken Avallone