Changing the Tranny Fluid SUCKS!

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Tue Apr 13 1999 - 19:46:09 EDT

The title says it all... Here's the long version.

Everything's in the way getting to the pan bolts.
Once you get the bolts off and gradually loosen the last couple you find
the pan is perfectly sealed and doesn't just fall off... So you go get a
flat bladed screwdriver and pry gently, then pry a little harder, and
Harder and HARDER. Then you go get a hammer and give the screwdriver a
little tap, then a bigger Tap and then WOOSH!! your soaked in ATF fluid
from just below your neck to your toes (only one side of your body, though,
--woo #%$*'ing hoo!).

Soooo, after changing, you work forever trying to get the old gasket off...
After that things get easy, UNLESS YOU READ THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL,
which says a fluid and filter change should take about 4 quarts of ATF...
BZZZZ, times up, your WRONG! Mine took 6 and a smidgen quarts. Of course
I only ordered 4 quarts of RedLine C+ ATF! You go try finding type 7176
ATF+3 at a LOCAL store when you need it! You have to cross at least 3
state lines, fight of six grizzly bears and one juvenile parts store clerk
before the gods figure they have tormented you enough!

I probably reconsider, but I don't think I'm ever changing that stuff
again.
L8R,
Tom