Re: open differential question?

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 17:02:38 EDT

Definitely sounds like an "Open" differential. (Sorry to say)...The
carrier assembly costs around $500.00 and the gears are about $250 (any
ratio from 3.55 - 4.10). Installation is another $500.00 for everything so
you'll be looking at an easy $900 - $1300 for the conversion. (What's
really stupid about that is the fact that Dodge only charged an extra $50
on the initial buy sheet for the "Sure-Grip"....Go figure.)

Here's a thought though....Count the bolts on the pumpkin cover...if you
have 10 bolts, that's a Chrysler 8.25" Differential. (Should be
anyway...just checking.) The internals are the same from 1972 up until
current for the "POSI" units...verified this via "Mopar Alley" club
members. If you can find a good carrier assembly from a junkyard...or
newspaper (hell, check EBay also) you can rebuild them with new gears for a
little over 1/2 the cost of a new one.

Regards,

At 03:23 PM 05/03/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Couple things:
>
>1. I don't have the limited slip, the other one that i do have IS called an
>open differential- correct?
>
>2. Sometimes mine burns both tires and sometimes it doesn't, what could be
>causing it? I notice it burns 1 tire 90% of the time and then when i hit
>second i leave 2 marks 50% of the time.
>
>3. what would be the cheapest way to get some form of posi trac or limtied
>slip on my truck. It would probably require a new rear end, right? What
>about that mopar sure-grip pluging or whatever the heck it is?
>

>I'm pretty new at rear ends, so anyone who can help out any, i appreciate
>it.
>
>Aaron C.
>99 5.2 CC Manual low 14's (estimate)

Bernd D. Ratsch