R/T owners-loss of tow capacity-Group buy Airbags

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 22:21:08 EDT

"My towing solution will be to invest in the air bag add-on's that the
lowered
truck people use. They add brackets to the frame side rails at the axle
area,
one on each side of the truck, and install inflatable air bags between
those
brackets and the differential case or spring central perch. They tell me
it
will add 3000# to the suspension's ability to carry a load, far
exceeding the
frames capability. It works similarly to air shocks without having to
give up
the R/T special extra heavy duty shocks. You just air up the bags to
level
out the truck when you are towing or carrying a heavy load and release
the
air when you're not. Chrysler would not allow my dealer to do this
modification, even though my dealer suggested it, as they are worried
about
liability on something that was not "designed here".
The $300 will let an owner retrofit the "air bag solution" I outlined in
previous email. Chrysler does not want anyone to do it since it's not
their
design and will try to convince owners to not do it. But these are our
trucks
and we can modify them without a threat of warranty cancellation as long
as
our modification doesn't cause a warranty problem (laws make it so)."

-OK guys (and girls) It's time for a group buy on Firestone
Airbags!! The $300 Gene
states is more than enough to cover the cost of a basic airbag setup.
If we can get
a significant amount of people to buy, I can get the Sport-Rite kit
(produced especially for
LOWERED vehicles-read "R/T") to you for $200 plus shipping, instead of
the $225 that
I've sold the kit to many people on the DML for. If you are interested,
e-mail me at
shetland@erols.com

Patrick
Firestone Tire and Service Center
Baltimore, Maryland
(no, I've never heard of the Orioles before)