Re: MPI Intake "vaccum tree" (attn Tom Moffat)

From: Tom & Fern Moffat (tomm@datarecall.net)
Date: Fri May 14 1999 - 17:27:12 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu>
Date: Thursday, May 13, 1999 1:56 PM
Subject: DML: MPI Intake "vaccum tree" (attn Tom Moffat)

> Tom,
>
> You mentioned that you used a tree from the back of a Ford
>econoline van engine to provide vaccum ports and such on your
>modified M1. I was at Autozone today, so I figured while I was
>there, I would see if they had anything. What the guy showed me
>were "ported vaccum switches". They looked like what you were
>describing except that they only open up above a certain temperature.
>Is this what you're using? If so, are you using the temperature
>part, or did you gut it out or something?
>
> Also, did you hook your brake vaccum line up to this fitting as
>well? All of the ports I saw on 'em looked pretty small, and the
>brake vaccum hose on my truck is fairly big by comparison.
>
> Thanks!!
>

> -Jon-
>
> .To Jon and Will,
  The vacuum tree was had at a boneyard. They usually have a # of ford econo
type vans there. They all had the vac. trees. I believe some have more
branches than others(I think) It screwed in directly. The port at the end of
the xmas tree was larger than the rest. I used this to run the brake
booster.(no down sizing required) The pcv went to one of the other smaller
ports.
 Thermostat: I bought the older, and larger housing from an LA motor and
corresponding larger,older thermostat to match. Both of these parts were had
at autozone.
   The tree was really an easy job. I was there a total of 15min. The guy
didn't even charge me.
Just remember it was inside the cab,don't look under the hood. You'll of
course have to pull of the shell once your inside the cab. It was low and
down near the floor (I think)
  Tom