Loping, bad gas milage and a day with a scanner :0).long!

From: BoogYT1300@aol.com
Date: Sun May 23 1999 - 19:30:08 EDT

Hey all
lately I have had a problem with my 92 318 loping at idle (cold). I
suspected the IAC (idle air control motor) because it would start loping and
really sounded bad ass, but then she would rev up and come back down to
normal idle. I thought I should clean my TB, but instead just removed my IAC
and discovered the plunger wasnt seating (apparent from the carbon tracks).
I cleaned it up and put it back, then went to a friend who had his own
mechanic shop.
This was where I had some fun. He has a MAC Versatool Computer scanner.
Well he let me mess around with it all day.
I found out that I had a 3% restriction in my airflow, and my O2 sensor had
set off a non-registered code which can only be reset through a scanner.
Well I reset the computer (MP SBEC) and did a sensor check. Everything came
up great. My fuel filter is fine, I could tell this from the Injector pulse
width ( 4.70 avg) My truck runs 186 (avg) at running temp. with a 195
t-stat., but when I ran the rpms up the scanner discovered that my actual
RPM's were about 200 below the theoretical RPMS. You could also hear a miss
or what seemed to be a miss. And timing was at 38 to 42 degrees. that
explains the pinging probs. (idle adv. 14-18 deg) was 10-13 deg before reset.

It has to be in the secondary ignition system. Almost like a fouled plug.
However the plugs were clean as new and still around .035. the wires are new
(Magnecores) so we think its in the distributor. Specifically in the pickup
assembly. One thing that I must tell you is that when I ran a check on the
Ign. system, the output was high, which I guess was part of the comp.
programming. This explains why aftermarket ign. systems dont seem to benefit
my truck.
So I put the stock computer in and reset all the codes and did a sensor
check. Everything was fine, but the ign. system output was "normal". I ran
the revs up to 1700 rpms and didnt get one stumble. Overall timing was
lower, 35-39 degrees.
So, I think I need to have my computer reprogramed to work with my
distibutor's pickup. I was told that MOPAR can do this.
ANyone have something to say about this??? I'm still waiting to hear from
my connects. Since all of this, Ive noticed better milage and more response,
but more pinging (MP SBEC). She's running leaner than before.
Oh well, just thought some of you out there might be interested.
TTYL
Boog