Re: 4cyl to 8cyl

From: Mike D. (miggitymike@juno.com)
Date: Sun May 23 1999 - 22:10:55 EDT

this is gonna' be a big job =)

The 6er to 8 swap is a little easier, but here is what I know:

First you're gonna need low profile elctric fans. A single 16" should
suffice. I'm pretty sure the 4banger comes with electric fans so you can
probably keep those. They may or may not be enough air flow though....

Next, your tranyy won't be able to handle the V8, so you'll need a new
one. If you want to go auto, get an A-518 (assuming the engine is gonna'
be a premagnum, If you're lookin' at a magnum engine then you'll need a
46RE or something like that). If you're one of those stick types, go for
the NV-3500. That's what comes in the 5 speed V8's. Get a bad-ass clutch
too =)

You'll also need a computer for the engine you swap to. Assumin' you want
fuel injection, that is. My thought are to stay premagnum and get a V8
out of 91 Dak or later 80's Ram or Van. That's just me. You'll need motor
mounts and all new accessories and brackets for them. Try to find a
junked V8 powered vehicle and see if you can totally cannibalize it for
it's accessories and brackets and everything else you can think of.

After the swap, you'll probably need rear tires =)
hehehehe

Good luck man!!!

-mike d.

miggitymike@juno.com
88 6er, LE, 3.55, Slush-o-matic, Edelbrock Headers, Flowmaster, TekStyle
Tonneau, 14x3 K&N,
Daytona bucket seats, Magnecor wires, soon to be slammed.......
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/1133 <or>
http://members.xoom.com/dakotaperf
                          "It's not a 'little V6', it's just
cylindrically challenged"