Inscrupulous Dealer Practice?

From: MATT ZEITS (darkharlequin@rocketmail.com)
Date: Sat Jun 05 1999 - 16:06:32 EDT

Well ladies and gentlemen,
I had just recently--20 days ago--entered the elite
group of dodge dakota owners. Yesterday, after 19
days of having the vehicle, my dealership called me
up and told me that they could not get financing for
me at the rate that they claimed they could.

I have a document that claims that they have 5 days
to find the financing, or the contract is null and
void, and I should return the vehicle, and they
return my trade and my down payment. I have been in
the dealership 3 times since that time passed--once
to install a mopar speed control device(cruise
control)--and they never mentioned any problems with
financing. I am afraid that they will screw me on
some sort of usage fee on the truck, not reimburse me
for the vent-shades, bugflector, and aerovisor and
the speed control that I had installed, and charge me
for detailing my trade. Is this legal, since the
documents claimed that they should notify me in five
days that I had no financing?
Should I call a lawyer?
Plus, the dealer made all but overt threats that if I
did not give him fives on all his ratings, and if I
indicated that I left the dealership with less than a
full tank and a vehicle that had not been
detailed--my friend can attest to this, he witnessed
it--he would make it very difficult to exercise my
warrantee, and would give me a hard time with my
scheduled maintenance. Is this a common experience?
Can anyone help?
sincerely
The once and former dodge dakota owner
Matthew Zeits