Re: RE: Engine pinging

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 07:54:55 EDT

I copied the following from the dodge trucks newsgroup a few weeks ago -
hope it helps....
'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate

"
I am an ASE certified master technician and shop foreman of a five-star
rated chrysler dealership . I have encountered pinging problems with a
few of the 96-99 model chrysler and have found only a couple of common
problems . First ; chrysler recomends only mid-grade fuel . Both regular
and super can cause pinging . There is a T.S.B. that covers rerouting
the spark plug wires but I have found this is more for skipping and
rough running than pinging . There are updates available for the
computer but your dealer has probably tried that and failed . The most
common and most overlooked problem is distributor indexing which can
only be done with the D.R.B.III scan tool . In my own personal
experience , indexing the distributor to "0" does the trick and does not
effect performance since the timing is electronicaly adjusted . John
Mastriano
"
"
I will try to answer all the questions put to me on the board : The
owners manual of a 97 vehical was printed in 96 so it wont show
information from a tsb that came out in 97 ( tsb# 14-08-97
driveability problems with high dx fuel ) . But if your vehical is
running good on regular fuel than I would leave it alone .
There is no "Base timing" on newer vehicals per say . Indexing the
distributor has nothing to do with the rotor-to-cap position as in
traditional timing procedures , but is the pick-up to reluctor wheel
position . I am not
farmiliar with the otc 4000e ( I was one of the unfortunates that got
stuck with a $1000.00 otc monitor 2000 ) . I have not purchased an otc
scan tool since . And as far as the
dealer indexing the distributor , did they index it to "o" I wonder . Or
did they index it to the "in sync" position ? I have found ( on rare
instances ) that the "in sync" position still causes pinging under load
                I hope that answers any questions there were .
JOHN MASTRIANO
"

MsBavior wrote...