air intake systems

From: David Steinberger (das@phcpas.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 19:01:46 EDT

About a week ago, someone posted a conversation with a mechanic who
claimed there was no improvement to the stock air intake system by
changing to an open element system. The responses I have read to that
post have been very vague. I realize that we all want to justify that
we made good decisions in the money we spend for modifications. No one
has refuted this man's claims so far. Have we all wasted money on our
FIPK, FABM, Quick D, etc.? Can anyone lay claim to proven results? I
for one would love to see test results...ie: I gained .2 in the quarter,
or a dyno test showed a 5HP gain or I gained 1MPG. Personally, I don't
care if it sounds better, or it feels quicker, or how many cfm's it
produces. I don't even know what a cfm is. Does it offer performance
gains or doesn't it? Thanks