Re: Leach headers

From: Bob H (torch@triplet.net)
Date: Mon Jun 14 1999 - 21:57:08 EDT

 Bob,

Thanks and it does help. I am trying to duplicate testing with the G-tech
by starting from a dead idle. Before Leach, it would bark the tires for a
short distance and then go. With the headers, it would barely spin the
tires, hardly at all and go. I guess to take advantage of the headers I
would have to launch harder, tho would not be a fair test to see what the
mod is doing or rather hard to duplicate with prior testing. I have the
3.55 posi. I am going to wait until I get some more miles and test again,
using the way I have been doing it and brake torqueing a little to get the
rpm up for a better launch. Your comments make sense, I would think you
were able to launch at higher rpm without spinning as much with the
headers, then before. Then the headers would take over at higher rpm, is
this correct? What rpm were you launching at before and after?
I appreciate the answer and answered publicly, since there are several
getting ready for the header purchase or are waiting...

>This is what I had expected and hoped for although I did not know by how
>much and
>when it would occur. The benefits for me personally is that I can launch
more
>aggressively (higher rpms) at the line without loss of traction thus
improving
>my 60' times and keep pulling 2/3 of the way down the track. More
improvement
>won't be realized until I install the MP cam (waiting for the MP valve
springs
>along with others).
>
>I have not personally used the GTech. I don't know if you have to alter
>the way
>you make a run with it in order to register the effects that the headers
>give at
>the top end. As far as I can tell, the GTech is basically an accelerometer
>which means speed input is still needed since an accelerometer cannot tell
the
>difference between acceleration and gravity. As far as the horsepower
>calculation
>is concerned, you would use the acceleration from the accelerometer and the
>speed
>from another sensor... The calculation (mass * velocity * acceleration)
>doesn't care whether the acceleration is due to gravity (going uphill) or
>increase
>in speed.
>
>Someone correct me if I am mistaken.
>
>Maybe the 500-700 miles for the computer to adjust is correct. If this
proves
>to be case, more improvements are ahead in the near future and I'll be one
>happy
>camper.
>
>Hope this helps.
>

>Bob
>Burlington, Ontario
>
>'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2

Bob Hardt
Aiken,SC
99 Black Dakota CC 5.2 Auto, Leach headers, Flex-A-Lite dual 12" fans,
Quick D intake, 180 stat