Re: PCV question

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Jun 23 1999 - 11:02:03 EDT

Going from what you said (Oil is everywhere inside the intake)...Is the oil
in little puddles?

Removing the PCV may cause you more of a headache than it's worth. The PCV
(Positive Crankcase Ventilation) Valve's main job is to scavenge the excess
oil steam and gasses out of the top-end. This prevents valve covers from
premature leakage as well as keeping the pressure down inside the engine.

As an example, on my old BB Chevy, I had dual K&N breathers but was
constantly cleaning oil "gunk" off of my valve covers. I put the PCV back
on one of the openings and this stopped the oil seepage. (BTW: Before and
after the mods, it ran consistent 12.2sec 1/4 miles @ 120mph) The PCV
valve does more good than harm to your engine.

Clean out the intake with some Carb Cleaner and drive it for about 50
miles. Check the intake again and see how much oil is in there now. If
there is a lot, you have more of a problem than just a "Cosmetic Fix"...ie:
rings going bad.

Regards,

Bernd