RE: DC Responsibility

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Tue Jun 29 1999 - 11:45:00 EDT

Eric:

   I'm not flaming you or anyone else in particular. I have a pet peeve
though, it's not taking responsibility for your actions or product. Because
we are a free-market society, we have the ability to boycott or not buy bad
products. When the country was first started, this was thought to be enough
to "police" companies that made poor items. The truth is, consumers needed
even more protection, why? Because you are absolutely right, there's nothing
stopping you from doing what you want with your R/T even in light of DC's
"Retroactive Specifications Changes" but it places all the burden of
consequencial damage on you, the owner. This isn't something you had control
over when you bought the R/T, you thought it might tow your house if you
wanted it too, but instead, a year or so after you've made that investment, DC
says, "Heh, we lied... tough luck."
   The laws against this kind of thing are clear cut and strict. Joe Schmoe
attorney could win this case. A good law firm could get punative damages. A
great one could cut off DC's head and hand it to them on a platter. Any Jury
would find DC totally at fault for this. DC is banking on the fact that there
are few R/T owners who bought the truck with the idea of towing with it (like
you point out) and that none of them will care to take it to a legal issue.
So you are proposing the corporate line of thought by suggesting that "it's
not worth it". So many companies nowadays rely on this apathy to avoid
responsibility for their products or actions. I'm sorry to see it from a
supposedly "forward thinking" company like DC. It's a throw-back to
neanderthal accountant thinking.
   My point is simple, if the R/T owners do nothing about this issue, their
inaction affects not only them but future DC approaches to this kind of
problem. If DC gets away with it once, they'll keep doing it until they are
forced to pay. If they get nailed to the wall the first time, then if it
happens again, maybe they'll think twice about doing the right thing.
Corporations are bottom line entities, you have to make the doing the right
thing be cheaper than doing the wrong thing.

Shaun H.