Exhaust question

From: jesse (pojess@home.com)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 22:08:34 EDT

I don't understand the cat-back exhaust upgrade. I looked under my
Dakota and found that the exhaust from the CC back are at least 2.5 to
3 inches in diamater, but the pipes from the engine were a lot smaller
(maybe 1.5 to 2 inches). It seems that if I were only going to do a
cat-back upgrade, I could save some money and just upgrade the muffler
(free flow) and not get the piping. Does this make sense? Does anyone
know if the stock pipes are mandrel bent.? Does it make that much of a
differnce for a soon to be slightly modified truck? Any comments?

1997 cc v6 auto
soon to have 10" 360 degree air filter w/2.5 k&n filter, Jet power
module, Gibson cat-back (depends on answers from post)