RE: Mopar tow hooks arrived, what the hell????

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 09:14:06 EDT

Jason,
You received the same kit I did. You should have also received an addendum
sheet that explains why you received the additional hardware, why the p.n.'s
are different, and how to bolt up the hooks to the kit. The large stainless
steel bolts with an allen head are supposed to match up with the large nuts,
and they will go through the rear holes of your hooks and the holes in the
cross member that do not have nuts welded to them. I could not find an allen
driver for these bolts from anywhere other than a Matco or similar tool
truck. Instead I swapped out these bolts and their mismatched nuts for a
couple of grade 8 9/16" hex head bolts and nuts. At that point, everything
went together as it was intended. You will end up with several left over
nuts and bolts, this is not a problem. I installed the washers per the
addendum sheet. Be sure to note that you have two different sized washers. 4
of them are thick and the other 2 are thin. The 2 thin ones are used on the
bolts that attach the hook cross member to the suspension cross member, and
the 4 thick washers are used on the front bolts of the hooks only. The rear
hook bolts do not get washers. You have to do this for the hooks to clear
the new cross member and this is also listed on the addendum sheet. I have
uploaded a couple of pictures of my hooks and the cross member without the
hooks installed to my site. They aren't part of a page yet, but you can get
to them at:

http://lonestar.texas.net/~jndneff/dakota/hooks1.jpg
http://lonestar.texas.net/~jndneff/dakota/hooks2.jpg

John
98 Dak 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto, Leach headers, DDBC, tow hooks.