MP Cam/Rockers @ track

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Thu Jul 29 1999 - 16:44:17 EDT

To Interested DMLers:

On a run with 91F heat, 33% humidity, weight of 4380 lb. and
crosswind of 25 mph, the Dakota ran a 15.675 @ 86.63 . Launch
was at 1800 rpm with no tire spin, 1-2 manual shift @ 5600 rpm
and 2-3 manual shift @ 5400 rpm.

Previous best was 15.417 @ 89.12 with 97F heat, 118 humidex, weight
of 4325 lb. and tailwind of 15 mph.

The Transgo kit and adjustments by tranny man made a difference in
that the latest run gave a 9.878 sec. (no mph registered) at the 1/8.
The previous best was a 9.906 @ 71.10 at the 1/8.

An Indy Ram who runs 14.4 consistently was running 15.0 on
this day.

Boog, I ran a 16.011 @ 84.07 letting the tranny shift by itself.
On the 2-3 shift, the rpms dropped to about 3000 rpm and seemed
to bog down there??? I also did a run without the air cleaner
and did not get any significant e.t. gain although there was
a .5 mph gain at the trap.

Biggest factors were the crosswind and the heat. I also think
that I may need to go to a 3.91 rear to get maximum use of the
power gains on the track. I'll have a better idea if I can
only run on a cool and dry day.

Easiest (cheapest) thing I could do is to shed the appearance
mods (probably 200-250 lbs.) but I'd rather run it at the track
as I do on the street at least for the time being.

On the street, the cam/lifter mods with the transgo mod makes
the Dakota feel and run like the '71 340 Roadrunner that I had
(maybe even stronger).

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto., 4x2, flame red