Re: Will TB mods help low-end torque?

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@wcom.com)
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 18:52:29 EDT

I have the same concerns as yourself which lead me to getting an F&B stage
1... it uses the stock bore size, just thinning the shaft and smoothing and
radiusing the top... the R&D is bored out to 50mm and Tony's is 52mm (from
memory, correct me if I'm wrong) I'm not sure on Jule's, but the root of the
matter is to keep the air speed up... when you increase the bore size, the
air speed through the TB slows, which is generally bad for low end torque...

this is over simplifiying, but for low-end torque, you want to narrow and
lengthen the intake and exhaust paths... just the opposite for high-rpm HP.

I saw Frank's response that dyno sheets are forthcoming... but since I
installed my Stage 1, I feel like the torque is improved.

Gary Shook